Why We Help
Violence is a social issue that affects us all. It is also a problem that many are silent about, making many unaware of the growing problem…
- Over a million children in Canada have witnessed violence against their mother. 1
- Every minute of every day a woman or child in Canada is being sexually assaulted. 2
- Women are three times more likely than men to be injured by spousal violence and five times more likely to require medical attention. 3
- Women are five times more likely to fear for their lives as a result of spousal abuse. 4
- Police were aware of previous domestic violence in about 70% of homicides involving estranged female spouses. 5
Take a stand for violence prevention and to help your local shelter.
1 Statistics Canada, Family Violence in Canada, 1999, p.30
2 Violence Against Women and Girls Fact Sheet, Canadian Research Institute for the Advancement of Women
3 Statistics Canada, Family Violence in Canada, A Statistical Profile, 2000
5 Statistics Canada, Family Violence in Canada, A Statistical Profile, 2004, p.39
Locally, we support Kate Booth House through regular donations from our commissions and fundraising throughout the year. Everyone derves a safe home.
Watch a 10 minute film: Kate Booth House: A Place of Hope. A Place of Healing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyiMj8AXAFo
http://www.royallepage.ca/shelter/index.htm To read more.... Thank you for caring. -Blair